Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:38:30 +0100
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        BSD NET-List <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dummynet has no effect

Hi again,

I want to limit the bandwith for each IP accessing my computer to
128KBit/s (2*ISDN). So I added the following rules to ipfw:

ipfw add pipe 1 ip from any to any
ipfw add pipe 2 tcp from any to any
ipfw add pipe 3 udp from any to any
ipfw add pipe 4 icmp from any to any
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 128KBit/s queue 10
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 128KBit/s queue 10
ipfw pipe 3 config bw 128KBit/s queue 10
ipfw pipe 4 config bw 128KBit/s queue 10

if I make "ipfw list" I can see the four pipes. But If I download
something to the server I get *much* more bandwith than 128 KBit/s. It is
the same as without the pipes. Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance for any hints

/ch