Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:41:15 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Uwe Pierau <uwe.pierau@tu-clausthal.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

%Uwe Pierau wrote:
%>
%> Jamie Heckford wrote:
%> # Hi,
%> # Does anyone have any details of Open Source, or software included
%> # with FreeBSD that allows the clustering of FreeBSD?
%>
%> Maybe you mean something like this...
%>           http://acme.ecn.purdue.edu/index.html
%> ?!
%
%Yes!
%
%When is somebody going to get around to making a PVM version of make?
%Wouldn't that help those "build world" times a bit?

No it would not!  Back in '94 I ported dmake to FreeBSD
and built just about every numerics package out there
on a 4 CPU cluster.  Worked fine, but not much in overall
speedup, because... tadum! Where do you get the source
files, and how do you get the objs back :-)  Not low
latency, eh?  F-Enet then, G-Enet now :)

Nowadays, you'd want to "globus ify" things, rather than
use use PVM.

But critically, speedup would only happen if jobs were
allocated at a higher level than they are now.

Now for building something like a full version of TAO,
why that might work.  But even then, a factor of 2x is
unlikely until the dependencies are factored out at
the directory level.

Russell

%--
%            "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
%
%Wes Peters                                                         Softweyr LLC
%wes@softweyr.com                                           http://softweyr.com/
%
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
%