Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:32:50 -0500
From:      "David J. MacKenzie" <djm@web.us.uu.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        djm@web.us.uu.net
Subject:   pam_setcred confusion

A note about my PAM patches: the FreeBSD man page for pam_setcred says:

       This  function  is  used to establish, maintain and delete
       the credentials of a user. It should  be  called  after  a
       user has been authenticated and before a session is opened
                                       ^^^^^^
       for the user (with pam_open_session(3)).

The Solaris 8 man page for pam_setcred says:

     The pam_setcred() function is used to establish, modify,  or
     delete  user  credentials.  It is typically called after the
     user has been authenticated and after  a  session  has  been
                                     ^^^^^
     opened.   See  pam_authenticate(3PAM),  pam_acct_mgmt(3PAM),
     and pam_open_session(3PAM).

Notice that they disagree on the order of the PAM calls.
When I wrote my patches I was referencing the Solaris documentation.
Perhaps the order doesn't matter, in practice.
If it does, then the order of pam_open_session() and pam_setcred()
calls may need to be reversed.