Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:58:01 -0800
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Are pipes broken in -STABLE?

For the last week or so, all of the kernels that I've built have been
having trouble with pipes. Port extractions fail, makewhatis fails,
all sorts of things generate error messages. The simplest example is
tar - e.g.
   # tar tzvf /usr/ports/distfiles/cfengine-1.6.1.tar.gz >/dev/null

   gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
   tar: child returned status 1

gunzip, followed by tar xf, works just fine, so I don't think it's a
gzip or tar problem. Besides, other things fail which don't
(apparently) use gzip or tar, but do use pipes. And, not all pipes,
fail, but I haven't been able to determine what causes some to fail.

This occurs on both intel and alpha.

I have to believe that this is something local to my setup - I haven't
seen anyone else discuss it on the list. Still I've tried almost
everything I can think of, even dropping back to a GENERIC kernel, and
still see the same behavior. Right now, I'm re-cvsupping the sources,
and I'll try building GENERIC from virgin sources, but, in the
meanwhile, does anyone have a clue what might be the problem?

Thanks.
Steve
--