Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:25:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG (Nik Clayton), msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith), scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Development Laboratory ...

> (2) The DVD DeCSS case.  The ability to play DVDs is as important to
> the BSD's as to linux, and I think some of the defendants in that case
> were actually using BSD systems.  But nearly all the "activism" seems
> to come out of the linux camp.  Recently I read of an amicus curiae
> brief (http://cryptome.org/mpaa-v-2600-bac.htm) signed by, among
> others, Marvin Minsky, Brian Kernighan, and (on the linux/GNU side)
> RMS and Andy Hertzfeld (Eazel).  Previously, other well-known linux
> people like Alan Cox have spoken about and made contributions to this
> case.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a single well-known
> BSD person has said anything in public about this case, either way.

The prolem with the DVD code is that there is no packaged BSD
version.

I think that BSD, despite the many people involved outside the U.S.
is largely U.S.-provincial.

This is an important point, since outside the U.S., one is immune
to U.S. law, and can openly defy it by packaginge code up, to the
consternation of the U.S. authorities, and those pushing for them
to act against transgressors -- largely U.S. commercial media and
governmental organizations, with no teeth outside their own borders.

What a German hacker can do with impunity, a U.S. hacker will, in
fact, find themselves legally entangled, at great expense.

What it boils down to, is that BSD needs more people outside the
U.S. that do for BSD what the extra-territorial Linux people are
doing for Linux.

> (3) The question of software patents in Europe.  I've seen this as part
> of some signatures, and so on, on FreeBSD lists, but that's about it.
> The petition against it is housed at http://petition.eurolinux.org.

Similar reasoning applies here: European legislation has little
impact on those already suffering under the U.S. equivalent.

> It's funny that though all the above look (superficially, at least)
> like "linux against big business" fights, and the BSDs like to
> advertise their business-friendliness, the big businesses are flocking
> to linux rather than to BSD.

To me, these look like non-U.S. vs. U.S. Corporate interests
fights.  In order to be involved against U.S. corporate interests,
or the legislation that their lobbying and campaign contributions
have been able to buy (like the current lack of sales tax on any
Internet purchases, as a positive example), you have to be willing
to paint a target on your back.

It's a hell of a lot easier to do this, and prance around publically
making a lot of noise, if you are out of range of the reprecussions.

Probably, a larger non-U.S. core team and committer base would help
BSD here.  The language barrier isn't a barrier for Linux, since it
doesn't have a core team or committer construct.  Other than the
king and his lords, every contribtor is a vassal, so Linux is in
effect a much more egalitarian society, and doesn't have the inherent
regional bias that these geocentric structures tend to generate in
BSD.  This was not helped by a lot of the extraterritorial BSD people
being moved into the U.S. by offers of BSDi and similar employment.

The lack of acknowledged BSD pundits speaking out in the regular
media channels, and on petitions, which are generally not nearly
as risky as donning the target T-shirt, probably has a lot to do
with the fact that the BSD comminuity shouts most of its pundits
down.

As far as I can tell, there is a general consensus in the BSD
community that ESR, for example, is not much more than a self-made
media phenomenon.  Many of us remember his promises about where
the royalties for the published version of the JARGON.TXT file
were going to go, which got us to contribute to his project, and
are slow to forgive him.  But he _is_ a media phenomenon, now.

These people arise because they go find a parade, and then get out
in front of it, with a baton.  It looks like people are following
the guy with the baton.  If he isn't beaten into submission by
the people behind him, who realize what he's doing, then he may
actually attract other followers, and then he can set the future
course the parade will take, and have the majority follow him, no
matter who started the original parade, or even if it self-assembled
because current conditions demanded one.

> Moreover, nearly all the desktop/userland software activity is taking
> place on linux, and getting ported to BSD from there.  And nearly all
> of it is under the GPL or other licenses more restrictive than the BSD
> license.

BSDs are commerce friendly, not business friendly, if you think
about it in any depth at all.  The BSDs have consistently tried
to claim the server space as their forte, to deflect competition.

Guess what: this strategy works very well.  It's exactly the same
strategy that UNIX vendors used to deflect competition against
Microsoft being a "problem" for them.  Now Microsoft is going after
the server market, and beating out UNIX.  It really should be no
surprise that Linux is breating down the collective neck of BSD,
and isn't willing to split the world into nice, orderly kingdoms,
over which the same families can rule in peace, as neighbors,
forever after.

> I think what matters here is mindshare.  Linux has it not because it's
> a better or more user-friendly OS, but because the community focuses
> itself on many more issues than merely programming.

Actually, it;s a philosophical war, and BSD is sitting on the fence;
it's no wonder it hasn't seen any action.

> In short, if linux is getting too heavily associated with "open
> source" these days, I think it's because the phrase "open source" is
> getting associated with much more than operating systems these days.
> The "linux community" is in the thick of all parts of the action.

The first argument is wrong; the last argument is spot-on.  BSD
people are not starting the new projects, Linux people are, and so
the new projects go forth with their philosophy.

For grey-market projects, which are quasi-legal or illegal in the
U.S., there are not a lot of BSD takers.  Media spotlights focus
on controverst, and BSD people are not controversial enough.  There
are really no risk takers, if you think about it, in either camp.
There haven't been Phil Zimmerman or Kevin Mitnick style arrests
over the issues you point out as being important.  The thing that
drives the controversy is the corporate interests sabre-rattling,
and crying that U.S. law should be extended outside the U.S. in
order to protect them from competition.

It boils down to needing people who can safely engage in the
bear-baiting to get the spotlight, if that's the type of attention
you want (many BSD people, seeing they can't safely have that, will
undoubtedly say "we don't want that, anyway"; it's human nature to
devalue what one is unwilling to pay for as being not worth buying).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.