Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:03:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        usebsd@free.fr (mouss), drosih@rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: [kernel patch] fcntl(...) to close many descriptors

:
:> I agree that breaking coherence is bad, though I find fcntl is the kind of
:> functions to use when you don't have a more specific one:)
:
:do we have (or could we design) a generic mechanism for machine-specific
:syscalls which are not available on all OS ?
:
:basically i am thinking of something like
:
:	generic_syscall("fdcloseall", ....);
:
:In this way it would be clear what the non-portable pieces of code
:are, and the mechanism would be extensible with no changes to
:libraries and syscalls. You could even have dynamically-loaded
:modules implementing new "syscalls".
:
:	cheers
:	luigi
:
:> then I'd propose
:> 	int fdcloseall(int start);

    There is work going on for the AIX equivalent using fcntl().  We should
    not create a syscall (it's unnecessary)... if you want a fdcloseall()
    function call, it should be in libc and use the fcntl.

    I would support one or the other, but not both.  I'd recommend the
    AIX fcntl API, since it's been around a whole lot longer.

						-Matt