Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:28:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata ata-disk.c

<<On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:19:57 +0100 (CET), Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com> said:

> Maybe what you want is the sysctl_add_oid(9)?

No, sysctl(3) should not be used to control device drivers.  That is a
job for ioctl(2).  sysctl(3) has (or should have) an all-or-nothing
security model: either the user is privileged, and can do anything, or
the user is not privileged, and can do nothing.  ioctl(2) provides for
a better security model: whatever permissions the filesystem has for
the device node in question.

-GAWollman