Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 07:42:01 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 11:39:01AM -0000, Dominic Marks wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'd really appreciate some opinions on the performance of some daemons. I=
'm=20
> trying to assess which is the best choice to offer both security and=20
> performance under FreeBSD 4.2. Apache seems like a pretty defacto choice =
for=20
> HTTP which I'm very happy with but I'm a little less sure what choose on=
=20
> others, in particular for ftp and mail servers.
>=20

Well, the following seems a bit backwards:

> FTP Options:
> 1. proFTPd - Seems secure and has "enterprise" features

Not sure...

> 2. wu-Ftpd - Good security (bad History) excellent performance

I doubt that it is now in the 'good security' category with numerous
remote root holes per year (and I am sure more to come).

> 3. ftpd - Dodgy security? Doesn't seem to be used very much

Not sure where you get 'dodgy security' from.  Our ftpd hasn't been
vulnerable in quite a while (including not being vulnerable to the hole
OpenBSD's ftpd was last year).

The big question is: what features do you need?  If the base ftpd has
the features you require, why install something else with a poor
history?

>=20
> Mail Options:
> 1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable

But the code is unauditable and the license stinks.

> 2. Sendmail - Industry standard, works fine, big user base
> 3. Postfix - Secure, quite light on system resources, growing support

Along with easy to configure

> I'd appreciate some feedback on any of these, any comments you might have=
=20
> would be very helpful, or perhaps links to articles on this subject.
>=20

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org