Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:09:19 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for FILE problems (was Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> writes:
> > I'd rather see this patch, or something similar, than bump the major
> > version again.  We can phase in a better way to obviate the need to do
> > this in the future.
>
> Brian Feldman, Peter Wemm, David O'Brien and myself have been
> discussing possible solutions on IRC for the past two hours. Peter
> will likely commit a patch sometime soon.

Sorry, I made the mistake of looking at this bikeshed and lost my nerve.
The patch I was going to commit was:
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/stdio.diff3
.. but this *totally* breaks installworld due to *BAD* brokenness in
installworld.

I can deal with /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 recompiles, but when the installworld
dies because the dynamic linked copy of /usr/bin/* in /tmp/XXX/* gets the
/usr/lib/libc.so.5 clobbered and explodes, leaving a 100% totally screwed up
system, then I begin to think we are doing something wrong.

If it wasn't for that, I could deal with a /usr/local and /usr/X11R6/lib
recompile.

I wish the people who say 'dont bump libraries at any cost' would fix the
build so it was possible for an installworld to complete with an
incompatable libc change.

Cheers,
-Peter