Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:59:35 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/astro/xglobe/files patch-random

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:40:00PM -0800, Matt Dillon wrote:
>     I agree with Bruce that throwing a warning in for simply using
>     rand() or rand_r() is not appropriate.  The man page says its
>     obsolete and that is good enough.  We can only protect programmers
>     from themselves to a point, after that we are wasting our time.

This isn't true -- as it stands now, people are writing code which
produces bad behaviour (e.g. the xglobe stars thing), or is insecure,
because they are ignoring the documentation.  If we add a link-time
warning it will probably catch more software writers, and the net
result is positive.  It also points out instances of possibly bad
software which FreeBSD porters and committers can address, again a
positive change.  It wastes no-one's time except about 30 seconds of
mine, which I was happy to give :-)

Bruce's objection is on different grounds, and I'll think about how we
can improve rand() without breaking the standards.  Actually, on that
matter, I have the suspicion that the rand() implementation (i.e. the
algorithm it uses) is standardized somewhere (one of the C
standards?).  Bruce, can you confirm?

Kris

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--