Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:52:00 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RMS supports Vorbis switch to BSD license?

According to http://www.vorbis.com/press/20010226.txt

  With the Beta 4 release, the Ogg Vorbis libraries have moved to the
  BSD license.  The change from LGPL to BSD was made to enable the use
  of Ogg Vorbis in all forms of software and hardware.  Jack Moffitt
  says, "We are changing the license in response to feedback from many
  parties.  It has become clear to us that adoption of Ogg Vorbis will
  be accelerated even further by the use of a less restrictive license
  that is friendlier toward proprietary software and hardware systems.
  We want everyone to be able to use Ogg Vorbis."

  Software Foundation says, "I agree.  It is wise to make some of the
  Ogg Vorbis code available for use in proprietary software, so that
  commercial companies doing proprietary software will use it, and help
  Vorbis succeed in competition with other formats that would be
  restricted against our use."

-R