Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:10:40 +0100
From:      Niek Bergboer <niek@kaidaw.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec AHC / Tape drive problems on 4.2-STABLE

Hi all,

Currently I'm having lots of trouble with the department's HP DLT-40 tapestreamer. The fileserver to
which it is attached was formerly running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE (from around november 2000), and the tapest
reamer functioned without
any problems. Two weeks ago I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (i.e. I didn't perform a direct upgrade,
but installed 4.2 on the first HDU leaving the second (data) HDU untouched). The only thing that
basically changed is the operating system: all cables and cards in the system were untouched.

Since then the tapestreamer won't function. While booting, it complains about SCSI-timeouts (see
attached dmesg excerpt). When issuing mt-commands, the server produces either a nice kernel panic and re
boots, or times out after a while.
The machine runs the FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE from Feb 19 (compiled at Feb 20), but similar problems existed w
ith an earlier STABLE (about Feb 15). The SCSI-card is a Adaptec 2940A Ultra,
and the tapestreamer is the only device attached to it (the disks are ATA due to budget constraints).
Also included below is an excerpt from the kernel config, showing SCSI-related options.

And now for the mystery: When I attach the tapestreamer to the departments webserver -- which has a Tekr
am DC-390U2W SCSI card using the SymBIOS driver --, the tapestreamer works just fine! The webserver is
also running 4.2-STABLE (from 6 Feb). The only differences between its kernel-config and the fileserver'
kernel-config is (apart from the different SCSI card) an extra option SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40. I've
seen in LINT that the Adaptec 2940 series driver also has options  AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO, AHC_DUMP_EEPROM and
AHC_TMODE_ENABLE, but these aren't active in the fileserver's config.

Given this information, my conclusion is that the problem is not the tapestreamer or the cable. As far
as I can see there are three options left: 1. The AHC-driver from 4.2-STABLE. 2. The SCSI-card or 3. the
 narrow-to-wide convertor plug needed to connect the narrow external plug of the Adaptec to the wide con
nector of the cable.
an anyone -- based on the information -- say anything about which of these three options may be the
cause of the problem?

Thank you very much in advance,

Niek Bergboer
System Administrator SCE

*** uname -a:
FreeBSD <fileserver> 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Tue Feb 20 14:24:42 CET 2001     root@<fileserver
>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/THARBAD2  i386

*** dmesg (excerpt):
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem 0xe2000000-0xe20
00fff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci1
aic7860: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(probe3:ahc0:0:3:0): SCB 0x6 - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0x186
STACK == 0x18e, 0x197, 0x0, 0xd
SXFRCTL0 == 0x80
ahc0: Dumping Card State at SEQADDR 0x186
SCB count = 10
Kernel NEXTQSCB = 2
Card NEXTQSCB = 6
QINFIFO entries: 6 5 4 3
Waiting Queue entries:
Disconnected Queue entries:
QOUTFIFO entries:
Sequencer Free SCB List: 1 2
Pending list: 3 4 5 6
Kernel Free SCB list: 7 8 9 1 0
Untagged Q(3): 6
Untagged Q(4): 5
Untagged Q(5): 4
Untagged Q(6): 3
sg[0] - Addr 0x7cf0284 : Length 36
(probe3:ahc0:0:3:0): SCB 6: Immediate reset.  Flags = 0x6040
(probe3:ahc0:0:3:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 4 SCBs aborted
(probe0:ahc0:0:5:1): SCB 0x4 - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0x186
STACK == 0x18e, 0x197, 0xd, 0xd
SXFRCTL0 == 0x80
ahc0: Dumping Card State at SEQADDR 0x186
SCB count = 10
Kernel NEXTQSCB = 6
Card NEXTQSCB = 4
QINFIFO entries: 4
Waiting Queue entries:
Disconnected Queue entries:
QOUTFIFO entries:
Sequencer Free SCB List: 2
Pending list: 4
Kernel Free SCB list: 5 3 2 7 8 9 1 0
Untagged Q(5): 4
sg[0] - Addr 0x1d17c84 : Length 36
(probe0:ahc0:0:5:1): SCB 4: Immediate reset.  Flags = 0x6040
(probe0:ahc0:0:5:1): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <Quantum DLT4000 D782> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)

*** Kernel config (excerpt):
# SCSI Controllers
device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

--
Conscience doth make cowards of us all.
                -- Shakespeare