Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Smithurst <csxbcs@comp.leeds.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/25405: misleading warning from catman(1), etc.

The following reply was made to PR docs/25405; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <csxbcs@comp.leeds.ac.uk>
To: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:03:32 +0000

 Rich Morin wrote:

 > 	  Don't start this program as root, use:
 > 	  echo /usr/bin/catman  | nice -5 su -m man
 >
 >         appears.  There are really several problems here:
 >
 >         1)  The program should check whether catman is actually
 >             being run by root before issuing the warning.
 >
 >         2)  If an error has occurred, the program should exit,
 >             rather then going on to write root-owned files in
 >             /usr/share/man/cat* (or wherever...).
 >
 >         3)  The program should be clever enough to _do_ the
 >             necessary work, rather than telling the user how to
 >             do it.  Basically, the programmer has gratuitously
 >             broken the method of operation for a command.
 >
 >         4)  The programmer's instructions to the user make use
 >             of an undocumented feature of man(1).  What, exactly,
 > 	    is going on when we pipe this text string into man?

 RTFM...  That's not what you're doing, you're passing the text string
 into 'su', which simply runs a shell as user 'man' which then executes
 the command /usr/bin/catman as that user.

 That's not to say the other points aren't valid, but I'm a bit busy at
 the moment, sorry. :-( Hopefully someone else can deal with it.

 --
 Ben Smithurst / csxbcs@comp.leeds.ac.uk / ben@FreeBSD.org