Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:30:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp status?

> Dennis - to answer your question: no, there is no work in progress (to
> the best of my knowledge) on the fxp driver that's not already visible in

i am not sure what the problem is that dennis is referring to,
but certainly the lack of documentation does not help.

This said, in some recent experiments i have done i found that
the intel card (or the driver maybe, i have no idea, though i
have tried all possible options with the docs i have) is unable
to generate traffic at full link speed with 64-byte packets -- basically
it tops around 105-110Kpackets/s as opposed to the 145Kpkt/s that
other cards ('dc', 'xl') are capable of -- and mind you, this is
not because the system is running out of CPU, it's just the card
that (at least as programmed in our driver) appears to wait an
additional 3us between back to back packets.

Now, the 21143 (which is a pretty nice chip and has available
documentation and a decent driver, "dc") is discontinued, but there
are clones which work reasonably well (and are even cheaper, around
$30 or so at compusa, i think netgear or linksys does one of these
cards). I'd go with them. No multiport card, at least as far as i know.

	cheers
	luigi