Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:13:27 -0800
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PXE boot 250M mfsroot -> "BTX halted" crash

Thanks to Google, I've found some stuff on this list at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=PXE+BTX+Halted&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&btnG=Google+Search&site=groups

Okay, So I'm trying to do installs via PXE based on
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/ but now I'm trying to see if I can net
boot in to a virgin system and run sysinstall there.  This would allow me to
tailor install.cfg, run sysinstall, run some post-configure scripts ...
overcome the limitations that Alfred's method sticks me with.

So I tried creating a 250M mfsroot image (Hey, I have 1GB of RAM!) that then
gets loaded by BTX over the 'net into an MFS.  The bootstrap twiddles for a
little while, sucking down much data, and then BTX Halted.

Since this is apparently a problem with large "dedicated disk" filesystems I'm
going to try making a more modestly-sized mfsroot and see if I get away with
anything.  Unfortunately, other folks' solutions like playing with the Adaptec
controller don't seem to apply here, since I'm not dealing with SCSI, neh?

I'm just chortling here in the hope that maybe this data point is useful to
somebody. :)

Thanks,
-danny