Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:06:14 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw rule -1?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:20:14PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Rule -1 is given for any packet dropped, but not dropped due to a user
> rule or the default rule. A quick look at the souce indicates the
> above pseudo-rule and some other fragment issues (bogusfrag) are the
> only such situations.

Hmm, I have the following setup: A -current box mounts /usr/src5 and
/usr/obj5 via NFS from a RELENG_4 box. Doing "make installworld" fails
as soon there's a fragmented NFS packet - the fragments are dropped
by rule -1.

I switched to a kernel without ipfw to be able to complete the installworld.
The kernel was PRE_SMPNG. Were there any bugfixes in this area or should
I try to reproduce the problem with a current -current?

/s/Udo
--
I figure that if the burned hand teaches best,
then the entire scorched epidermis simply has to get its point across.