Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:46:38 +0100
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Eric M Logan <eric_m_logan@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages...

Isn't there a small security advantage with building from source
(compared to downloading packages from an untrusted party)?

With source one can be assured that the port is built from unmodified
data since the downloaded distfiles are checked with checksums.
(Assuming the local ports tree can be trusted)

As opposed to packages where there is no verification at all that you
didn't receive something manipulated. (The possibility of someone setting
up a FreeBSD mirror distributing trojaned packages disturbs me)

I'm not sure if I overlooked something though..

Regards, Markus.

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/