Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:08:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

> > > That is an inappropriate response, from someone that hacks their kernel
> > > daily.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> I mean your responce of telling ports maintainers to hack their kernel
> sources (admittedly a small hack), may be out of the scope of what they
> care to do.  How does CVSup in checkout mode handle local mods?

Its head explodes.

CVSup needs to be modified to let you tell it to automatically
CVSup onto a vendor branch, so that what's in the remote
repository is stored locally in a vendor branch.

This would get rid of the conflicts caused by local modifications,
and you could do local "merge to head" to update local sources.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to get into the CVSup sources
because of the language they are written in, and the tools and
memory normally required to run them.

> > This whole -BETA topic is about us getting so removed from the
> > users that we don't realize when we do evil things to them.
>
> You mean about our non-RELEASE RELENG_4 users getting so removed from us,
> they read email lists, FAQs, or pay any attention to how things work
> here. ;-)

Depends on your point of view; whose convenience is more important,
the programmers', or the thousands of users per programmer who use
the resulting code?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---