Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:46:25 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scheduling frequency for threaded applications ?

* Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com> [010319 11:43] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm developping a network benchmark application ("packet blaster").
>
> The current version uses many processes, to send and receive packets,
> and collate statistics.
> when I look at top(1), I see most of the time taken is in the "system"
> category. I assume this is due to the many context switches between the
> collaborating processes.

You're incorrect.  System means just about any time spent inside the
kernel (except interrupts), so basically syscalls count towards this
meaning that your application is driving the kernel pretty hard.

This is easy for a team of processes, but nearly impossible with
a thread based approach.

You don't want to use threads.