Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:54:04 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS performance

* Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net> [010320 10:47] wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Jan Conrad wrote:
>
> > We're making plans to upgrade our NFS server to FreeBSD-4.3 (including
> > new disks...) and I would like to ask about the status of NFS v3?
>
> Why do you need NFSv3? Are there particular features in NFSv3 that you
> need or are you just guessing that v2 > v3 and therefore better?
>
> > Currently, a standard NFS mount (4.3BETA) gives us a sequential writing
> > speed of approx. 2Mb/s (just 400Mb dd'd data, IBM DTLA-307045 with
> > softupdates) and reading speed of 9Mb/s (the maximum).
>
> What is the speed of your network?
>
> > Mounting via TCP gives us 2.5Mb/s. (Is this safe?)
>
> Why are you using TCP? If you are on a reliable LAN, use UDP. TCP should
> be used for long haul NFS. There are lots of reasons for using UDP, if you
> want me to go into them, I will.
>
> > Are there any other possibilities to increase the writing speed (by means
> > of tuning NFS...)?
>
> Again, try UDP. Also, go pick up the O'Reilly book on NFS and NIS. Alot of
> what I'm going to tell you is in there (indeed the book is on my desk at
> work).

Actually, from what I've been told, TCP allows for much larger requests
than what UDP does, afaik UDP maxes out at 8k while tcp should be able
to go to 32k (maybe 64k) and give possibly better performance.

Plus each time you 'hickup' under a UDP mount it's a lot more painful
because since it's possible for each RPC to be broken into several
packets you have a lot more retransmition to do.

However, as the manpages and sysadmin books say, NFS tuning is a
black art and results under various setting may vary wildly.