Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:54:11 -0600
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@cswnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:09:02PM -0600, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:09:02 -0600
> From: Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
> To: Matt Martini <martini@invision.net>
> Cc: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: 4.3-BETA
>
> This is not what I pointed out.
>
> -CURRENT is what you get for the bleeding edge.
>
> -STABLE is what you get for stable code.
>
> The changes in -STABLE are minor and well-tested; in contrast, there is
> no guarantee that -CURRENT will even build on a given day.
>
> The big source of confusion on this list is the distinction between
> BETA, STABLE, RC and RELEASE. As long as people understand that all are
> the same code branch, there should be no trouble.

Or to put it another way,  -RELEASE is what Sun will sell you as
Solaris x.x, IBM will sell you as OS/2 x, Microsoft will sell you as
(insert screwed up nameing scheme here).  -STABLE is Solaris x.x with
the cumulative patchset installed, OS/2 with the latest fixpack installed,
or Microsoft's next earth shatterringly original product that you get to
pay for.

Don't let the fact that we get the source code confuse you.  How many
people run the vendor supplied rev of any OS without downloading patchsets,
fixpacks (OS/2), or service packs (Microsoft)?  The same ones who only
run -RELEASE on FreeBSD.

I'm running OS/2 Warp 4 with Fixpack 14 installed.  Which now tells me
it is OS/2 Warp 4.5.  Some fixpacks are good, others really *suck*,
especially now that the user community has convinced IBM to release the
fixpacks without worrying so much about quality control.

On average FreeBSD-STABLE is definitely no less stable than your average
patchset, fixpack, or service pack you get from other vendors.

-CURRENT is the vendors next rev.  FreeBSD stable is about as stable
as other versions next major rev.  You just can't get your hands on
IBM's next version of OS/2 unless you are one of the OS/2 developers.
You can't get Microsoft's next rev of Windows unless... well it doesn't
really apply to Microsoft does it?

--
Reading my message, I *like* that explanation (other than the -CURRENT
paragraph), anybody else?