Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:03:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com>, <bright@wintelcom.net>, <gordont@bluemtn.net>, <rdm@cfcl.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS performance

:- if I leave it at half-duplex the net makes 9Mb/s
:  ping -f <Machine on the same switch) I get 0% to 1% packet loss
:  (after relaxing the icmp bandwidth control...)

    Try 'ping -c 500 -i 0.05 -s 1024 Machine' a couple of times.  You should not
    get any packet loss at all, ever, but 'ping -f' isn't really a good test.

:again, running on half-duplex, transfering 100Mb from a client to this
:machine (merlin)
:on client:
:mount -t nfs -o intr,nfsv3,-r=32768,-w=32768 merlin:/freebsd/misc /mnt
:dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zero bs=16k count=64x100
:104857600 bytes transferred in 12.765062 secs (8214422 bytes/sec)
:
:at the same time, netstat -I fxp0 -w 1 gives me

    Those numbers are fairly good for a half-duplex link.  It should work
    almost as well with the default blocksize of 8K, even with the additional
    return traffic.  If it doesn't, something is wrong somewhere.

    In anycase, setting the interface and the switch to full duplex
    (if possible) would give you even better results.  You should be
    able to max-out the transfer rate for writes at 10MB/sec or so even
    using the default 8K block size.

    Ultimately these sequential transfer numbers are meaningless.  When
    dealing with heavier loads from multiple clients the default block
    size of 8K should typically work better.

						-Matt