Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:13:32 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG, kris@obsecurity.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: so where is our press-release about MacOS X ?

> I think you can assume that Jordan will veto me writing anything even
> remotely like a press-release for the project.  I just thought it was
> a very good opportunity to beat the drum...

I don't think you can assume any such thing - I say go for it! :)

One of the things that makes the Linux community as powerful as it is
is the fact that so many people are involved in the advocacy side of
things.  They even have people reading their mailing lists and posting
distillations of all the high points to various web sites.  We like to
talk about doing those sorts of things, but they have the manpower
(personpower?) to actually do them.

I may be the PR guy, but that just means that the buck generally stops
with me when nobody else can be found to attend some press or
technical round-table event and I'm always keen to have the PR baton
taken up by others, when possible, since I obviously can't be in all
places at once.  I believe phk himself has done multiple european
events now which I couldn't possibly have done, even if I had wanted
to fly 12 hours over the atlantic to do a 2 hour presentation. :)

To cite a very recent example, just last thursday there was a "Wells
Fargo Linux Day" event which I sent Murray off to since I couldn't
make it.  By all accounts, he did a great job at presenting the
FreeBSD side of the story and I'm just glad I could facilitate someone
being there at all.  That's really the essence of the PR hat, not just
sitting at a desk and "vetoing" PR one doesn't like.  Heck, I don't
think I've ever done that, the most I generally get involved in other
people's PR is to make suggestions or edit the drafts they send me.

If you guys go near the Apple thing, however, I can at least note that
it would be courteous to work with Ernie P. <ernest@apple.com> since
he's the PR liason on that side and has worked with us in the past on
things like this.  Your message will be far more powerful with him on
your side than without and he's also a pretty good wordsmith who can
undoutedly help you polish the PR before sending it.

- Jordan