Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:25:03 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security problems with access(2)?

In message <3AC60925.7CF191FA@iowna.com> Bill Moran writes:
: I'm a little confused here, if access() is such a serious security
: problem that it should _never_ be used, do we now have a major problem
: with a large amount of software in the base system?

Access(2) can be raced.  If you say access("fred") and then later open
fread, between the two calls, fred may refer to different files and
you would be tricked into opening a file that you shouldn't have
otherwise opened.

Warner