Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:08:07 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@newst.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssl/mdX.h and mdX.h name clashes

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:03:20PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> hi, there!
>
> /usr/include/mdX.h and /usr/include/openssl/mdX.h
> both declare structures and functions with the same name
> (structures are a bit different) and this is a bit troublesome for
> applications that want to link with both -lmd and -lcrypto
>
> can we consider merging our mdX.h enhancements (MD5End, MD5File) to
> openssl and switching to openssl/mdX.h entirely?

I believe that this is the way things are supposed to happen; this
has been discussed on -arch recently, although somebody stated that
OpenSSL already has all the functionality.  I wasn't quite able to
find analogous functions in the source; and a single function,
without setting up a BIO object and stuff, when all you need is
the MD5 hash of a file by name, is definitely something useful.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence were in Chinese, it would say something else.