Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:27:56 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>, Freebsd-Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD Networking Performance

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 08:55:41AM +0800, David Xu scribbled:
| Friday, March 23, 2001, 3:12:19 AM, you wrote:
| JG> Interesting topic in the linux kernel mailing list (Linux is "a lot" faster than
| JG> FreeBSD):
| JG> http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html#2
|
| JG> I came to use FreeBSD from Linux for servers because of kqueue.  I stayed
| JG> because I liked the entire system.  I'm sure that Linux does TCP processing as
| JG> fast as possible, and that in-kernel servers (NFS and the TUX webserver) are
| JG> blazingly fast.
|
| JG> I do have Linux 2.4 running on an old machine, but I have no intention of taking
| JG> down my FreeBSD box to dual boot Linux just to compare penis size.  Has anyone
| JG> recently done so?
| I can confirm Linux 2.4 TCP/IP is faster than FreeBSD, they have
| dynamic tuned TCP window, unlike we have a fixed max TCP window
| set in SYSCTL. they have SACK and FACK, it is better in high speed line
| than FreeBSD, it is also multi-threaded, better on SMP, someone
| despise Linux should wakeup now, Linux is not so bad.

I can confirm the following:
A) You are a troll.
B) The above "confirmation" states nothing.  You fail
   to state the conditions of the test.  You do not qualify
   your statements with facts.
C) Want me to show you where FreeBSD wins? Let's try 4700 simultaneous
   users, constant 500KB/s network output with 800KB/s bursts,
   I/O on vinum with stable 80MB/s.  Linux 2.4 or 2.2.x never
   stood up to even just half that load.
D) Your posts are very good flame baits because I am writing this email.

Has it ever occurred to you that your opinions might be stupid
and ignorant?  Please refrain from posting dumb emails.