Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 07:54:04 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jason Victor <sloppyj123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A novel idea....

* Jason Victor <sloppyj123@yahoo.com> [010404 05:17] wrote:
> Hi. I have to have Windows on my computer, and will
> NOT spoil my perfectly tweaked Debian installation.
> What I was wondering was: is there a UMSDOS of Phat
> Linux-type thing for FreeBSD? I think this would be an
> interesting project to undertake. If there isn't one,
> and anyone wants to start it, tell me what a
> (relatively) newbie C programmer can do. I think it
> would increase migration to FreeBSD from Windows, as
> opposed to ONLY Linux.

You can take a look at picoBSD:
 http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/

Since FreeBSD can mount linux/msdos disks, what you can do is

a) use EXT2 as a backing filesystem
b) use a file in EXT2/msdosfs as a backing node for a virtual
   device:
     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vn&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.2-RELEASE&format=html
   and create a filesystem in that.

> And something completely unrelated: do FreeBSD
> drivers/HOWTOs work on OpenBSD and NetBSD?

Drivers, not really, HOWTOs depends on the howto, most Linux howtos
which are really samba/mgetty/vi/apache howtos work on FreeBSD. :)

> And what
> are the REAL reasons that you guys prefer FreeBSD to
> Linux?

I like FreeBSD because I get to fix the problems I come across
rather than having to submit it along with massive companies like
SGI where I fear getting lost in the noise.

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/