Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eliminate crget() from nfs kernel code?

:
:On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
:
:> It's implicit in the fact that results caching is permitted; that means
:> that the results you get need to be valid for everyone.  The only way to
:> assure this is to use a credential that can always get results.  The
:> only alternative is not to cache.
:
:My reading of nfs_statfs() was that the results aren't cached in our
:implementation.  Is this an incorrect interpretation?  My hope was to
:preserve the real credentials wherever possible, avoiding arbitrarily
:constructing credentials.  If a credential must be constructed without
:paying attention to the creation context, then it should be an NFS
:credential, not a normal subject credential.  My understanding also is,
:BTW, that uid 0 is not required to be special for servers, and so the
:constructed credential may not even provide magic capabilities.

    nfs_statfs() is not cached.  You should be able to use the
    process ucred unmodified, though no testing has been done
    so we can't be absolutely sure it will work with a wide
    variety of NFS server platforms until we try it.  It's worth
    finding out, though.  I'd like to see this bit of code cleaned
    up.

						-Matt