Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:51:24 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Morten A . Middelthon" <morten@freenix.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x4500)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:11:12PM +0200, Morten A . Middelthon wrote:

> Recently I've been getting tons of these in my syslog:
> arp: unknown hardware address format (0x4500)
>
> Iirc I haven't had these before, but now they keep appearing 10-20 times a
> day.
>
> The box is 4.2-STABLE built from sources from Feb 15. There are other FreeBSD
> boxes on the same network, but they're not showing any messages like this.
>
> It's running dhcpd, apache, named, NIS, nfsd, smbd and using an Intel NIC with
> the fxp driver, if that's interesting.

This message indicates that some host of your LAN broadcasted ARP message
with the wrong value of hardware address format type field.  I have a Linux
box on my LAN (Mandrake?) that for unknown reason _sometimes_ broadcasts
broken ARP requests.  These do not hurt anything, just annoying.
There is no mechanism to turn these messages off.

I ran tcpdump(1) for a while to see the hardware address of the host that
broadcasted these wrong ARP messages.  You might also want to take a look
at the <net/if_arp.h> header file for the format of the ARP message, and
to take an idea on what fields to look in the tcpdump(1) output.

I think, something like this might work for you:

# tcpdump -exn "arp[0]=0x45 and arp[1]=0"

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,