Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm balance

:>:>    scaleability.
:>:
:>:Uhm, that is actually not true.
:>:
:>:We keep namecache entries around as long as we can use them, and that
:>:generally means that recreating them is a rather expensive operation,
:>:involving creation of vnode and very likely a vm object again.
:>
:>    The vnode cache is a different cache.   positive namei hits will
:>    reference a vnode, but namei elements can be flushed at any
:>    time without flushing the underlying vnode.
:
:Right, but doing so means that to refind that vnode from the name
:is (comparatively) very expensive.
:
:--
:Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
:phk@FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

    The only thing that is truely expensive is having to physically
    scan a large directory in order to instantiate a new namei
    record.  Everything else is inexpensive by comparison (by two
    orders of magnitude!), even constructing new vnodes.

    Without vmiodirenable turned on, any directory exceeding
    vfs.maxmallocbufspace becomes extremely expensive to work with
    O(N * diskIO).  With vmiodirenable turned on huge directories
    are O(N), but have a better chance of being in the VM page cache
    so cost proportionally less even though they don't do any
    better on a relative scale.

					-Matt