Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:12:39 +0300
From:      Victor Ivanov <v0rbiz@icon.bg>
To:        "Robin P. Blanchard" <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install world on 486]

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:51:15AM -0400, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
> the reason CPUTYPE was commented out was because i'd gotten the
> same error while having CPUTYPE set and seemed to remember someone
> on the list saying something about CPUTYPE=3Di486 giving him the
> same errors for 'strip'.
>=20
> so CPUTYPE or not CPUTYPE, i get the same error.

Without CPUTYPE it's i386 isn't it? I have /usr/obj on a CD, it was built
on a i686 machine (actualy a buggy Cyrix) without the CPUTYPE option in
make.conf. Later I have installed this on a i586 and on old Compaq with i486
processor -- didn't have any problems...

The failing i486 could have hardware problems (bad memory?)

> > > i cvs'd (src-all tag=3DRELENG_4) this morning and rebuilt on a i686
> > > with the following make.conf:
> > >
> > > FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=3D-p
> > > USA_RESIDENT=3Dyes
> > > MAKE_IDEA=3DYES
> > > #CPUTYPE=3Di486
> >=20
> > This will 'buildworld' everything using the current processor type.  Si=
nce
> > you're building on an i686, it's going to create code for the i686, whi=
ch
> > won't run properly on your i486.
> >=20
> > > installworld on the 486 dies with:
> > >
> > > pid 2645 (strip), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
> > > *** Error code 70
> >=20
> > Signal 4 is "Illegal Instruction", which is quite reasonable, since your
> > 'buildworld' was run on an i686 machine.  Early in the 'installworld'
> > process, new copies of many compilation tools (such as strip) are insta=
lled
> > on the target machine.  Since these tools were compiled for i686, they'=
re
> > failing miserably on your i486.
> >=20
> > You need to re-enable the CPUTYPE lines in /etc/make.conf and re-run yo=
ur
> > 'make buildworld' again.

--=20
Players win and winners play