Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:27:24 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Failed using CD-ROM as root filesystem

I've tried to use (bootable) CD-ROM as root filesystem (I want have
this because it's good alternative of fixit.flp), but it seems that
GENERIC kernel doesn't understand where is root filesystem.

What I did are:

- make a 2.88MB boot floppy image, which contains:
	* GENERIC kernel (gzipped)
	* loader(8)
	* configulation files for loader: device hints & 'set boot_cdrom'
- make an ISO image with, which contains:
  	* floppy image (mentioned above) for boot
	* extracted distributions
- Burn an ISO image to a CD
- Boot...
	* loader(8) works well; initializing is OK, and kicks kernel.gz
	* kernel works well until all devices are attached
	* kernel stops when mounting root filesystem, dmesg says:

		acd0: CDROM <....> at ata0-slave PIO4
		Mounting root from cd9660:cd0a
		setrootbyname failed
		iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
		Root mount failed: 6
		Mounting root from cd9660:acd0a
		setrootbyname failed
		iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
		Root mount failed: 6
		Mounting root from cd9660:wcd0a
		setrootbyname failed
		iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
		Root mount failed: 6

		Manual root filesystem specification:
				       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
		  ?		     List valid disk boot devices
		  <empty line>	     Abort manual imput

		mountroot>

It seems that something goes wrong in setrootbyname(). Any clues?

P.S.: I've also tried with 4-stable kernel, and it goes pretty well.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA