Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tripwire or the like for FreeBSD ?

> Is there a reason to use md5, sha1, and ripemd160 together?  I would think
> ripemd160digest alone would be sufficient.

Of course.  If someone breaks one of the crypto hash algorithms, it is
likely that the discovery will not be immediately applicable to other
algorithms, so the other checksums will still be of some value.

(Hmmm.  I wonder how susceptible these hash algorithms are to quantum
computation...?)

-GAWollman