Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:33:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Squires <mikes@ct980320-b.blmngtn1.in.home.com>
To:        Todd Cohen <cohentl@clarkson.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this device bad?

> 	I just bought one of those huge seagate ST410800N hard drives off

I have about 20 of the ST410800WD drives here, used with Adaptec, Symbios,
and DPT controllers.

I would do a low level format, using the controller's low level format
option (CTL-A during the boot process for Adaptec).

I've always done this with a new or used disk when connected for the
first time or to a different controller.  This is in part superstitious
behaviour learned during the early days of PC SCSI when even Adaptec
controllers didn't use interchangeable low level formats.

The ST4100800 series has been very reliable for me - no failures, and they
clock at a respectable 5MB/sec for an old 5400 RPM drive.

MLS