Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:39:43 +0800
From:      "林英超" <r88074@csie.ntu.edu.tw>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: write() vs aio_write()

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Alfred Perlstein
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 9:31 PM
To: 林英超
Cc: Freebsd-Hackers

* 林英超 <r88074@csie.ntu.edu.tw> [010430 06:17] wrote:
> Dear all:
>
>    Because  write() use buffer cache,  I want to know whether aio_write()
is
> better than write() in FreeBSD 4.1 . Is aio_write()
>
>  outperform write() ? Or any related performance comparison between the
two
> system call ????

aio_write is for doing async aio.  meaning you can ask the kernel to
move data for you from a memory location to a file descriptor while
you proceed on with doing other work.  if you don't have any other
work to do then aio is probably just going to slow you down.

Now I am trying to implement a  Proxy Server. I want to use asynchrounos I/O
so that
the Proxy Server can do other things than blocking on I/O operation. Is it a
good idea to
use aio_write or aio_read on Proxy Server ???

Thanks a lot
						Richard_Lin

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]