Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 11:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        <flash@alaska.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange BTX halted error

:Well, that's not going to work, as I don't have an Adaptec and I need the
:onboard SCSI to boot =/ Thanks for the help though. If someone can
:decipher what all the register's mean, I can provide access to the boot
:loader binary and source (4.1.1-RELEASE I believe).
:
:-gordon
:
:On Tue, 1 May 2001 flash@alaska.net wrote:
:
:> I had the exact same problem when I had 'SCSI Bios' enabled on my
:> Adaptec 2940.
:>
:> Turned it off and that stopped. Not sure what the problem is, but I
:> know that is the solution for me :)

    I was getting BTX halted failures due to BIOS confusion related to
    dangerously dedicated partitions.  It's what prompted me to fix the
    disklabel code to allow boot blocks to be installed on slices.

    Unfortunately, the only way I could fix my particular problem was
    to get rid of my dangerously dedicated partition which meant blowing
    away the hard drive and repartitioning and relabeling it.

    The very last example, just before the SEE ALSO section for the
    'disklabel' manual page shows how to do this.  But be warned: it blows
    away the disk.

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=disklabel&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.3-RELEASE&format=html

    I do not know if my problem is the same as yours, so this could be all
    for nothing.

						-Matt