Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 23:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/25992: System hangs when read-only floppy has been mounted

The following reply was made to PR kern/25992; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>,
	achilov@granch.ru, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 23:30:55 -0700

 Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> writes:
 > On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:51:45PM +0700, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:
 > > On Sunday 29 April 2001 09:26, dd@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
 > > >  Are you mounting the floppy in read-only mode?  I.e., are you doing
 > > >  `mount -r /dev/fd0 /mnt`?  If you're not specifying the ``-r'', then
 > > >  I'm not surprised (I guess it should panic, not hang, though).  If you
 > > >  are using ``-r'', then I can't reproduce this; I have a couple of
 > > >  computers with read-only floppies in them (for tripwire).
 > >
 > > Hang or panic - which difference? One result - reboot :-(

 The difference is that a panic is a whole lot easier to diagnose than
 a hang.

 > Just as an aside. This problem has been with us forever. I can appreciate

 I'm not sure which problem you're referring to.  I just tried
 inserting a read-only floppy and mounting it read-write.  I got a
 bunch of write failure errors when I tried to unmount it.  No panic,
 no reboot.  Lots of junk in the logs.  Seems like correct behavior to
 me.  I said panic above because I thought it'd be more logical
 behavior than a hang; spitting out write errors is even better.

 > that the real UNIX gurus do not hurry to fix this one since they always
 > know what to type and don't use floppies much anyway. (Neither do I.) But
 > this does not mean that in this situation we should panic (or hang for that
 > matter) Panics are for the situations where something is seriously wrong so
 > much so, that we decide to give up instead of marching on and possibly
 > producing non-sense results. But trying writing to a ro floppy should
 > simply fail. Why is there an assumption that a floopy is always writeable
 > unless indicated by -r otherwise? Would we try to write to (and

 Becuase it is mounted read-write.  It's fair to assume that if you
 requested that a filesystem be mounted read-write, it can be written
 to.  UFS (FFS?) will try to flush all buffers and update the
 superblock(s) or something like that (I probably got the details
 wrong) when you umount a filesystem mounted as read-write.  As I said
 above, this causes lots of errors.  On my computer (-current a few
 days old), it doesn't panic or hang.

 					Dima Dorfman
 					dima@unixfreak.org