Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 11:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        lists@mediumgreen.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC's SysV shared memory  settings+defaults be re-thought?

:>    whether I have to raise SHMMNI and SHMSEG even higher -- I'm guessing
:>    that your problems were mostly due to the too-low SHMMAXPGS default.
:
:I've seen similar issues with my home machine.  If I leave vmware running,
:my backups fail.  I haven't yet gotten around to rebuilding the kernel with
:the shm setting changed.
:
:Here is my current ipcs output:
:
:...

    Thanks guys.  As I thought.. the issue is almost certainly the shared
    memory maximum.  I've raised the default from 4M to 32M in -current
    and I will MFC it to -stable on monday.  I also raised the control
    structure limits slightly.

						-Matt