Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 20:04:43 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
Cc:        stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: soft update should be default

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 08:51:42PM -0400, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why 'soft update' is not default?
> It adds performance and stability, doesn't it?
>
> Is there any reason not to make it default?
>
> --
> Tadayuki OKADA

It only adds performance... the whole idea of soft updates is to get
async speed with sync reliability. Nothing is more reliable than
synchronous writes, since data is verified absolutely as it is written.

Still... I do agree it should be the default, or at least an option that
can be set at install time. I think this summer I will be reinstalling
my system, to clean up the cruft that ~1/2 year of learning has built up
on my system. It would sure come in handy then.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx