Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 16:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad T22, CS4624, pcm - channel dead, no sound

I've noticed a few posts earlier about people having little luck getting
pcm to work with their thinkpads, but figured I'd throw in a bit of
a question.  I'm happy to guineapig potential solutions.

Thinkpad T22 (1Ghz PIII)
  Crystal CS4297a
  Crystal CS4624   (I think)
FreeBSD 4.3-release

PCM is happy seeing the chip:

csa0: <Crystal Semiconductor CS4614/4622/4624 Audio accelerator/4280 Audio contr
oller> mem 0xe8000000-0xe80fffff,0xe8122000-0xe8122fff  irq 7 at device 5.0 on p
ci0
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0

When one attempts to play sounds to it using mpg123, the
play completes almost instantly, and one receives the by-now familiar:

pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

This happens regardless of whether or not I use 'device csa'
It doesn't seem to matter what IRQ I have the audio device on,
though csa isn't happy on the default of 11.

The opensound drivers for FreeBSD don't work properly, though they
can get some very scratchy sounds to spit out.

Any suggestions / thoughts / etc?  Will hack or guinea pig for sound,
though I haven't poked around with the sound code much.

   -Dave