Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 09:44:27 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: gnomeui.so.4 (was: Re: gnome 1.2 & gnomecore 1.4??)

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 04:03:58PM +0200, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> BTW is there any way to make ld report what file(s) are causing the
> but if I could get the info about the program that tried to call
> gnomeui.so.4, it would be possible to backtrack the port I need to
> update.

man ldd

> This on the other hand is a well engineered system that should be and
> normally is upgradeable, manageable and generally made to operate for
> years without needing the wipeout measure now and then.

No, the current ports/package system is, whilst well engineered
within its limitations, generally unable to deal with anything
apart from relatively trivial upgrades.

x11/gnome comprises some 70-odd ports that all need to be kept in
sync with each other, or bad things will happen.  This doesn't include
all the other GNOME ports that may be floating around on the system,
which also need to be removed and recompiled.

> If your only tool is a hammer, then treating every problem as a nail
> might be ok. But if your only tool is a thermonuclear missile, then you
> should think both once or twice of alternative solutions before nuking
> away...

Go and read the archives of this list, where magical upgrade tools
have been discussed many, many times, then send in a PR with the
necessary patches to make upgrading huge ports (like GNOME and KDE)
trivial.  I'll make you famous.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org