Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 01:10:59 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mkisofs and ISO images that boot

From the handbook:

> 10.8.2. mkisofs
> The last option of general use is -b. This is used to specify the
> location of the boot image in producing a ``El Torito'' bootable
> CD. This option takes an argument, which is the path to a boot image
> from the top of the tree being written to the CD. So, given that
> /tmp/myboot holds a bootable FreeBSD system with the boot image in
> /tmp/myboot/boot/cdboot, you could produce the image of an ISO 9660
> file system in /tmp/bootable.iso like so:
>    # mkisofs -U -R -b boot/cdboot -o /tmp/bootable.iso /tmp/myboot

Hmm ok.

$ make installworld DESTDIR=/random/place/FirstCD
...<hours of unrelated hacking later>...
$ ls -l /random/place/FirstCD/boot
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  149504 May  8 17:00 cdboot*

Ah! Just what I need, right? So...

$ cd /random/place
$ mkisofs -U -R -o FirstCD.iso -b boot/cdboot FirstCD
Size of boot image is 292 sectors -> mkisofs: Error - boot image
  'FirstCD/boot/cdboot' is not the an allowable size.

Ok, I'm kinda stumped, so I go to the man page and see this:

-b eltorito_boot_image
        Specifies  the  path and filename of the boot image
        to be used when making an "El Torito" bootable  CD.
        make  an  "El  Torito" bootable CD.  The boot image
        must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44,  or
        a  2.88  meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size
        when creating the output iso9660 filesystem....

Well. Can anyone shed any light on the apparent inconsistencies
between the handbook, the man page, and what is -really- needed to
make a bootable CD?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A philosopher called on Nasrudin and found him away from home. Infuriated,
he wrote 'Stupid Oaf' on his door. As soon as Nasrudin got home and saw this,
he rushed to the philosopher's house. "I'd forgotten", he said, "that you
were to call. And I apologize for not having been at home. I remembered
our appointment as soon as I saw that you'd left your name on my door..."