Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 17:16:05 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release Makefile src/release/texts ABOUT.TXT ERRATA.TXT FLOPPIES.TXT HARDWARE.TXT LAYOUT.TXT README.TXT TROUBLE.TXT UPGRADE.TXT src/release/texts/alpha HARDWARE.TXT INSTALL.TXT RELNOTES.TXT src/release/texts/i386 INSTALL.TXT ...

"Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>   [...]
>   Removed files:
>     release/texts        ABOUT.TXT ERRATA.TXT FLOPPIES.TXT
>                          HARDWARE.TXT LAYOUT.TXT README.TXT
>                          TROUBLE.TXT UPGRADE.TXT
>     release/texts/alpha  HARDWARE.TXT INSTALL.TXT RELNOTES.TXT
>     release/texts/i386   INSTALL.TXT RELNOTES.TXT
>   [...]

Maybe instead of removing these we should stick a note in some of them
saying something like,

	The release notes are now rendered from SGML as part of the
	release build.  Additionally, they are available on the web at
	<not-yet-existing url>.  If you are a committer wishing to add a note
	here, please do so at <path to sgml file>.  If you are completely
	uncomfortable with SGML, please send a message to
	freebsd-doc@freebsd.org with your plain-text submission.

This will help to keep the volume of "where are the relnotes"
questions down.  Perhaps this isn't so important on -current as it is
on -stable (although the notice to committers helps; even today
someone committed to the plain text files instead of the SGML ones
(something about isdn)).

Thoughts?

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org