Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 11:43:01 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        fredrik@speechcraft.com, jmallett@xMach.org, dscheidt@tumbolia.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compiler? (was: The desktop apathy)

Jordan Hubbard said on May 27, 2001 at 12:46:59:
> > Speaking of which, If I buy a copy of MacOS X, will I get development
> > tools and such along with it, or do I have to buy a third-party
> > product? I've been meaning to get me one of those G4's and MacOS X to test
> > it, but where can I get the programming tools for it?
>
> Yes, you'll get all the project manager / appbuilder stuff on a 2nd
> CD, along with gcc, gdb, etc for command-line oriented development.

What compiler is Mac OS X built with?  gcc? or something else?

If gcc, I'm thinking this must be the first commercial OS built with
GNU tools.

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of those ibooks, too.  It would
probably have been an easier decision if Mac OS X actually ran X
natively.  As things stand, most of my favourite programs will
probably not run at all, or be pretty unstable...