Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 16:36:27 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding "noschg" to ssh and friends

> :Can we agree that it (that is, securelevel > 0 and schg on selected binaries)
> :raises the bar a bit higher?  If so, it seems to me that it might be worth
> :doing (though most appropriately on a user-by-user basis).
> :
> :Seth.
>
>     Putting on my security hat... no.  All you are doing is forcing the
>     hacker to use some more obscure and possibly less detectable way to
>     compromise the machine.  So, in fact, you could be making the problem
>     *worse*.

Er, Matt.  I appreciate what you're trying to say, but this argument is
logically invalid.  You could use it to argue that any security is a bad
idea because it forces people to do sneakier things.

The real reason why setting schg is bad is because it's a major pain in
the arse.  All security is a tradeoff against functionality/ease of use,
and the proposed policy goes too far the wrong way.

Yes, there are good arguments for making it easy to lock a system down;
the steps involved in this process should be considered a lot more
carefully though - we're seeing a lot of armchair generalship and very
little high-level thought being applied here. 8(