Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:32:29 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbussifying drivers

> The newbus routines use a certain amount of overhead, but once done, you
> forget about it.  In some device drivers, the probe methods often need to
> try a variety of hardware ports.  In the past, inb/outb was used, along with
> an often hardcoded port address.
>
> Does it make sense to call bus_allocate_resource for every hardware port we
> probe?  What is the best way to handle this so NO inb/out is used, even for
> probing?

Typically, probe routines these days are invoked with a single set of I/O
parameters to probe (and even this is only ISA devices).

It's pretty rare to need to bit-bang to find a device these days anyway;
you should probably be looking for PnP data or similar.  This is what
hints are (basically) - manually-supplied PnP data.