Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:49:51 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        cvs-committers@Freebsd.org, cvs-all@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern tty_snoop.c src/sys/sys snoop.h

"David O'Brien" <obrien@Freebsd.org> writes:
> ,
> > >
> > > 	In my ever so humble opinion it's better to do the whitespace commits
> > > seperately. That makes it much easier to see the substantive changes.
> > >
> > cvs diff -w?
>
> Regardless, it is our practice to commit style/cosmetic changes by
> themselves with no functionality changes mixed in (and vice-versa).

Perhaps you misunderstood my commit message.  There were no functional
changes in this commit.  I fixed indentation, changes a few function
names to be consistent, removed initializers on automatic variables
(e.g., "int error = 0;" -> "int error; error = 0;"), and made a few
other style fixes (e.g., "return n;" -> "return (n);").  No new code
was added.  The delta does produce a different object file because
some of the changes (such as moving initializers) may cause different
code to be produced.

My understanding of the logic behind that rule is that we want to be
able to see bugfixes and new features using 'diff'; since this commit
doesn't add any new features or fix any bugs, I think it may qualify
as pure "style/cosmetic".

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org