Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:49:57 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: free() and const warnings

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:20:51AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 07-Jun-01 Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 07:07:22PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is free((void *) (size_t) ptr) the only way to free a const whatever *ptr
> >> with WARNS=2?  (or more specifically, with -Wcast-qual)
> >
> > Uhm.  OK.  So size_t may not be enough to hold a pointer.  What is it then -
> > caddr_t?
>
> uintptr_t for data pointers.  In theory I think code pointers may not fit in a
> uintptr_t.
>
> free((void *)(uintptr_t)ptr) should work.
>
> Of course, this begs the question of why you are free'ing a const. :)

OK, here's a scenario:

struct validation_fun {
	const char	*name;
	valfun		*fun;
	int		dyn;
};

This is a structure for a set of validation functions, referenced by
name from another type of object.  There are some predefined functions,
present in the code at compile-time, and hardcoded in an array, with
names given as "strings".  Thus, the 'const'.

However, some of the functions may be defined at runtime, with both
name and code sent by a server.  In that case, the name is a dynamically
allocated char *, which needs to be freed upon cleanup.  So I have:

[cleanup function]
	if (val->dyn)
		free(val->name);

Any suggestions on how to improve the design to avoid this, if possible,
would be greatly welcome.

G'luck,
Peter

--