Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:52:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Strange request: Reading RX-50 (aka DEC Rainbow 100) disks

> Has anybody done this before?  Any pointers?

I'm very familiar with the RX50 on the Rainbow.  I wrote the "copy protected
disk copier" for it in that bygone era.  ARRRRR!!

The Rainbow ran several operating systems, CPM, CPM/86, MSDOS 2, and MSDOS 3.
The Rainbow had both a z80 cpu and an 8088 cpu with the lowest 2k ram shared
between the z80 and the 8088.  The z80 controlled the floppy drive via a
WD 1793 chip.

I'd actually recommend trying to use kermit to get the data out via the
serial port first :-)  There is a rainbow kermit out there.

I remember being able to transfer files between the Rainbow and the IBM PC
using a lower density single sided format - like 40 tracks.  This was in
MSDOS world only and not CPM.  I'd bet there are utilities on simtel20 that
would read a CPM format floppy in 40 track format.  I formatted them on the
IBM PC in low density mode and then wrote data to them on the Rainbow.

There is also a version of DECNET for the Rainbow that works via the serial
port.

If you can find someone with a PDP-11 or a MicroVAX unix system somewhere
you might be able to just dd them.

I still have my Rainbow and I have to use an air blower to get rid of dust
in order to get the floppies to even read at all anymore.  My apple ][
floppies still read solid with no air blower.

Good Luck!

Mark Hittinger
Earthlink
bugs@freebsd.netcom.com