Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:24:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gyori Sandor <gyori@szit.bme.hu>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nsswitch dynamically loadable modules

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 scanner@jurai.net wrote:

> > There are patches to solve this problem at
> > http://www.nectar.com/freebsd/nsswitch
> > but only a part of them was built in to -CURRENT (the statical part).
>
> If it's such a deficiency where are you're patches to fix the missing
> bits? I fail to see them attached to this mail. Maybe my mailer dropped
> them on the floor. Please resend them! thanks!

You can see the patches on
http://www.nectar.com/freebsd/nsswitch
site (they're huge, more than 200K, so I don't want to attach them).
I have no own ones, I only applied these.

> > Is there anybody who use _properly working_ nsswitch and nss_ldap on
> > FreeBSD?
>
> Many of us are waiting on nectars code. He is very busy working on other
> things. And last time I checked he hoped to be picking it back up in June.
> He is doing the best he can. You can help by finishing his work and
> submitting the changes back so we get complete support sooner. I await
> you're contribution.

I've done the following to get authentication via LDAP (but there is no
success):
1. I don't understand exactly why, but even into -CURRENT there was
implemented only the statical part of nsswitch. By following the link above
everybody could reach the code of the dynamically loadable modules part of
nsswitch too (the patch contains it too). Statical part of nsswitch
understands only some predefined strings such files, nis, nisplus and
dns. The dynamical part understands any string and tries to load the
appropriate library ("nss_"+string+".so"). I would like to use LDAP, so
I need the dynamical part of nsswitch, therefore I patched a 4.3-STABLE
system. It seems to be working properly.
2. I need nss_ldap too, because I would like the system to ask LDAP server
about the question: "Is this user exists?". The current version of
nss_ldap (at padl.com) is 153, but I couldn't compile it, because it needs
some header files which are only on Solaris. I've been working to correct
this problem hardly, but I couldn't do that. So, I downloaded the FreeBSD
patch to 122 from nectar.com, compiled and installed it. I think it
doesn't work properly, because system doesn't want to know users who are
exist on LDAP server.
3. I installed pam_ldap from Ports. It works properly, because if I write
manually a user's name who exists on LDAP into /etc/passwd, I can log in
with this user, get uid from LDAP, and so on.

The new nsswitch part of my system seems to be correct, because if I put
the following line into nsswitch.conf:
passwd: files ldap
nsdispatch is looking for nss_ldap.so (if I remove nss_ldap.so, I get
error message).
I've tested the statical part of nsswitch too. I've deleted the line
"+:::..." from passwd file, and put the following line into nsswitch.conf:
passwd: files nis
and NIS/YP authentication worked properly, so nsswitch can process its
config file.

I've read somewhere that FreeBSD support nsswitch only via BIND IRS
interface. Is it true?? I don't see any connection between BIND and
nsswitch...
README.IRS from nss_ldap tarball says that I should patch my bind by
irs-nss.diff file, but I've found nowhere this patch file. Is this a
really existing thing or just a myth?

So what do you think, what should I do? I readily test any piece of code
which may solve my problem, but now I have nothing other than the above
referred ones.

Best wishes,
Sandor Gyori